Re: Upgrading necessary, but maybe not

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian Sid, kernel
2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7.  Now, in
order to have the device working, I should upgrade my system to Sid or even
maybe simply upgrade only my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.

I wonder if there is a third possibility, i.e. keep my old kernel but simply
recompile it.  Can anybody suggest if such a way is good and how I can know
the proper module to install before compiling the kernel?

You could recompile 2.6.25-2-686 on you Etch system from source and then install the result.

Hugo