Re: [Solved] Re: how to close port 113 ident xinetd

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 09:03:10PM -0400, Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "Jimmy Wu" <jimmywu013+debian@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I tried doing an nmap scan on myself the other day and found that tcp
> >> port 113 was open.  Nmap listed the service as ident.  I am trying to
> >> remove this service since I don't think I need it, but I can't figure
> >> out how.  I removed the package pidentd, after which nmap reported the
> >> port was still open, but changed its service description to "auth?".
> >
> > Did you restart xinetd after removing pidentd?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ansgar
>
> Thank you - I restarted xinetd and the port seems to be closed now (at
> least according nmap and netstat).  I guess since ident wasn't
> mentioned in xinetd.conf, I didn't think to restart it.

xinetd uses separate configuration files for each of the services it
provides (assuming your /etc/xinetd.conf has the line "includedir
/etc/xinetd.d" per the Debian default). Part of the pidentd package is an
xinetd config file that is placed in the /etc/xinetd.d directory. When you
uninstalled pidentd that file was removed, but you still had to restart
xinetd for it to reread its config (which no longer included the ident
service).

> Thanks again to everyone who replied,
> Jimmy Wu
--Greg