Re: Cannot switch to VT (console)
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Cannot switch to VT (console)
- From: "Michal R. Hoffmann" <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:04:20 +0100
- Message-id: <48937A54.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20080730211522.GB8068@pc0197>
- References: <48866C08.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4887B3A1.email@example.com> <20080727194011.GA846@pc0197> <488E538F.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20080730211522.GB8068@pc0197>
On 30/07/08 22:15, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 00:17:35 +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
On 27/07/08 20:40, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 23:41:37 +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
On 23/07/08 14:38, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
Recently I tried to switch to VT (console) and I couldn't -
Ctrl+Alt+F1 didn't work (and they used to couple of weeks ago). I
don't even know where to look for the problem; xev detects
KeyRelease XF86_Switch_VT_1 event, /etc/inittab contain getty
Does is also report the KeyPress event for XF86_Switch_VT_1?
No, only KeyRelease.
Interesting, the KeyPress event seems to be intercepted, but X does not
act on it. You could try to run
tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
in an X terminal and check if anything is appended to the Xorg log when
you press CTRL+ALT+F1.
Nothing. It returns nothing.
I agree with you that it should work like that. Maybe you have to try a
simpler configuration now, and then you can gradually add all the above
options to find out which one breaks the VT switching. As far as I can
tell, they should all be defined, but maybe they are not all compatible
(which could be a bug).
I have to do some tests tomorrow (too tired now). I found that it
doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not (I use GDM / Gnome) - it's all
the same. So probably it's something about Xorg. Maybe my keyboard
settings (it's Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, UK version):
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "uk"
Or maybe it is a bug.
Michal R. Hoffmann