Re: Cannot switch to VT (console)

On 30/07/08 22:15, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 00:17:35 +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
On 27/07/08 20:40, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 23:41:37 +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
On 23/07/08 14:38, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
Hi,

Recently I tried to switch to VT (console) and I couldn't - Ctrl+Alt+F1 didn't work (and they used to couple of weeks ago). I don't even know where to look for the problem; xev detects KeyRelease XF86_Switch_VT_1 event, /etc/inittab contain getty respawns.
Does is also report the KeyPress event for XF86_Switch_VT_1?
No, only KeyRelease.
Interesting, the KeyPress event seems to be intercepted, but X does not
act on it. You could try to run
tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

in an X terminal and check if anything is appended to the Xorg log when
you press CTRL+ALT+F1.

Nothing. It returns nothing.

[cut]

I agree with you that it should work like that. Maybe you have to try a
simpler configuration now, and then you can gradually add all the above
options to find out which one breaks the VT switching. As far as I can
tell, they should all be defined, but maybe they are not all compatible
(which could be a bug).

I have to do some tests tomorrow (too tired now). I found that it doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not (I use GDM / Gnome) - it's all the same. So probably it's something about Xorg. Maybe my keyboard settings (it's Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, UK version):

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"