Re: [OT] Turion 64X2 desktop?

On 07/31/08 04:54, kj wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/30/08 08:50, kj wrote:
kj wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/29/08 15:01, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

What info for motherboard you need? Some command's output?
I don't know the model or company - it's laptop.

Ah, no, I'm specifically looking for a desktop mobo. With a strong preference for one with PCIe slots which I can add a video card to.

The goal is a low-power (thus quiet) desktop for my kids that does well at 3D and video playback (i.e., xv support). I'm thinking something passively cooled in the NVIDIA 7300 range. The desktop form factor would also allow for cheaper RAM and 3.5" hard optical drives.

Hi Ron,

I missed the first part of the thread, so I'm assuming you have a Turion64 of some flavour too. I am looking for this too, and all I have found so far, was an out-of-production Albatron Mini-ITX board. Mine is a single core, so you may have a little more luck, but there are very few manufacturers who specify Turion64(_x2) compatibility, even if the boards are compatible.

--kj

This is the newer (AM2) version of the one I was thinking of:
http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/Product/MB/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=239

Not quite what you're looking for but as close as I've been able to get to it.

Thanks. No I don't actually have a Turion, and you have all the important bits of the thread... :)

How can one tell whether a mobo is surreptitiously compatible with current Turion64 or Turion64x2 CPUs?

I found this page which gives some idea:

http://angelfall.s39.xrea.com/area2ch/turion-e.html

But of course, manufacturers often change things, without changing the board revision number. I've read a couple of reports where a BIOS update was required to solve some issue with the hardware, but the BIOS update removed Turion64 compatibility - chicken-and-egg situation.

This page also has some useful info:

Other than that you have to depend on the manufacturer to officially support it. The only such board I know of is the MSI K8MM3-V, which I can no longer find for sale anywhere.

:)

I already found both of those sites.  Socket 754, though.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."