RE: what's the best IDE for C programming in Debian?

This is a topic I am sure will spark...umm... conversation...yeah,
that's it... :-)

Anyway...

For small projects or quick edits, I use Vim. For one or two files, it
works really well. Use Terminator and you can view both files with a
terminal open for compiling/running all in one window.

For medium projects I use Gedit. It will probably be listed in the menu
as "Text Editor". Now let me clarify that by default, it isn't worth
much as anything but a simple text editor with tabs. However, install
the gedit-plugins and it becomes quite the tool. Multiple tabs, syntax
highlighting for many languages, and a built in bash prompt (handy for
compiling/running without switching to multiple windows/desktops) are
just a few of the things I like about it. BTW, I define medium as 'All
of the files I need are open on visible tabs without the need to scroll
through them'. So in other words 6-10ish files.

Lastly, for large projects. I hesitantly suggest eclipse.
I love all of the plugins of Eclipse. I love the many supported
languages and features. I could go on and on about the things I like
about Eclipse.

However, I don't think I have done in update to eclipse/java in the past
two years that didn't break something. The last big java update killed
Eclipse for over a month (known bugs) but I needed the java update more
then Eclipse. Updates also tend to break plugins. It is pretty common as
seen by the next day after an update when the forums light up with
everybody complaining with "I just updated eclipse, and look at
everything that doesn't work!" Even at this very moment, the Bash Script
Highlighting Plugin doesn't work after the last update, and a plugin
from a proprietary vendor works but it kicks back errors on startup.
Both of them are known issues that have been active for a while now.

I have now begun pinning Eclipse on my systems so that it can't update.
I have another system that I test out all of the updates on. When it
finally updates and everything works, then I will update the other
systems. It can be a pain to do this.

The problem as I see it is that VS has a very narrow range of things it
supports/does but it does those things really well. All of these other
editors support a HUGE range of things, but tend to have issues or not
address specific things as well as VS does. I am not aware of a direct
comparison product in the Linux world; just a few close alternatives.
Most of the time, it is my opinion, the open source alternatives are
much better then VS, but it doesn't really help those transitioning from
VS.

This is obviously all just my opinion. Take if for what you think it is
worth. :-D