[OT] RE: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 - US - Debian mirror?

I understand spoofing the signature to throw off the bad guys, but why
would you spoof IIS on an Apache system?

This comes just from my limited knowledge on this subject, but I have a
Debian Apache server and a 2k3 IIS server, both behind a Smoothwall
firewall. I have my Smoothwall configured to drop all the packets that
it identifies as attacks and to log the attempt. I have SOOOO many more
attacks by worms and so forth trying to get into the IIS system then I
do on the Apache. A quick look shows that I have had at least one attack
every hour for the past couple of days on the IIS but I spot none on the
Apache (there may be some, but if so I have missed them in the log
file).

Now I know these attacks for IIS won't work against Apache, but I don't
understand why I would broadcast as IIS and put my Apache box into this
line of fire (even if it is nothing more but the bandwidth of the failed
attacks). Isn't there something else to spoof that wouldn't cause an
increase of attacks?

Any comments would be grateful. I am always open to suggestions to
improve my systems/security. If my question/understanding is too
newbish, please be gentle. :-)

Thanks!

As a side note, I see these giant log files of dropped attacks and I
can't help but wonder two things. 1) What's going to happen when one
gets through to the Windows box? I mean, I have backups and plans in
case but still...*dread* 2) How on earth do Windows Admins sleep at
night with these kind of constant attacks out there? Maybe I should, but
I don't worry about any of my Linux systems as a whole as much as I do
on this one Windows box... :-D