Re: Accent chars instead of VGA graphics from Ubuntu system (terminal via ssh)

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2008 Jul 31 06:41 -0500]:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:05:29PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2008 Jul 30 16:34 -0500]:
> > >  Maybe my Sid
> > > box should be default UTF8.  I'm going to try that since the dialog
> > > advises that it should be the default.
> >
> > That was, errr, interesting.  Since I have locale-purge installed and
> > it runs after packages are installed via Aptitude, it helpfully cleaned
> > out the en_US.UTF-8 locale since I hadn't selected it back who know's
> > when via the locales package.  All kinds of weired and interesting
> > effects occured once I allowed en_US.UTF-8 become the default. :-)
>
> Somehow this message looks like reply to my posting on mutt while I see
> no reason.....

It was a reply to my post which was a reply to yours.  :-)

> Nate, you know that en_US locale means en_US.ISO-8859-1 locale

I figured that out last night.  I had that set because some years back
there was breakage in Perl due to the default locale being C as I
recall.

> Enen if your transition from old ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 was not
> smooth and was easier to stay with ISO-8859-1 does not gurantee easy
> life for ever.
>
> Basically, world is moving from C -> ISO-8859-1 -> UTF-8.  C has place
> to live for embedded system etc.  But ISO-8859-1 will be deprecated
> standard for system default.

I understand.  My selection of en_US is from long ago.  I've just
realized the effect now.  The installation on this box can be traced
back to early 2003 and it has been upgraded continuosly since then.
Some settings haven't been changed since!

Actually, parts of /etc came from a couple of previous installations,
so some things may be traced back to 1999 or so.

> > As a work around I've set en_US as my locale in my .bashrc and will
> > wait until a number of pacakges get updated and the UTF locale gets
> > restored before trying again.  At least I think I'm on the right track.
>
> System default of locale is not really set by .bashrc.  That is only fro
> program executed from BASH shell.  Your terminal window program may be
> running by the locale set by the PAM.

I see.  But, each of my shells in Konsole runs .bashrc as I start them
as login shells and in that file I have a line `export LANG=en_US' and
when I commented that out after setting en_US.UTF-8 to be the default
locale and restarting the system is when the fun began.  Mutt's
graphical threading characters were replaced by accented ones and FTE's
screen was completely destroyed.  So, I presume that erroneously having
localepurge delete the en_US.UTF-8 locale for all this time was the
cause.  So, I reinstated the export line in my .bashrc and I'll try
again a while from now after various packages have had time to update
and (hopefully) the en_US.UTF-8 locale is present.

> Yes.  I should say "All tools fail eventually if you do not know what
> you're doing".  ;-)".

How else does one learn without a self imposed challenge?  :-)

> As for environment, start reading Debian Refrnce (debian-reference-en
> paclaje in lenny) or
> read it on line:
>  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

Thanks, I'll check that out.