Re: Accent chars instead of VGA graphics from Ubuntu system (terminal via ssh)

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2008 Jul 30 16:34 -0500]:
>  Maybe my Sid
> box should be default UTF8.  I'm going to try that since the dialog
> advises that it should be the default.

That was, errr, interesting.  Since I have locale-purge installed and
it runs after packages are installed via Aptitude, it helpfully cleaned
out the en_US.UTF-8 locale since I hadn't selected it back who know's
when via the locales package.  All kinds of weired and interesting
effects occured once I allowed en_US.UTF-8 become the default. :-)

As a work around I've set en_US as my locale in my .bashrc and will
wait until a number of pacakges get updated and the UTF locale gets
restored before trying again.  At least I think I'm on the right track.

I guess that some tools fall into the realm of "if you know what you're
doing".  ;-)

- Nate >>