Re: Accent chars instead of VGA graphics from Ubuntu system (terminal via ssh)

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2008 Jul 30 09:15 -0500]:

> What I see is charater encoding issue.  Terminal does not understand
> UTF-8 (That is Mythbuntu 8.04 problem) while it looks like you are
> runing sid in en_US.UTF-8 or so.
>
> Check encoding of both system.

My Sid box shows:

$ echo $LANG
en_US

The Mythbuntu box shows:

$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

> Try work around problem using
>  $ mc -a

No change.

> or
>  $ LANG=C mc -a

That got me closer as the borders are now rendered in ASCII:

http://n0nb.us/pix/snap6.jpg

> or something like this.

Trying to reconfigure the locale gave me this:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p low locales
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
Generation complete.

But since the Ubuntu system probably depends on UTF-8, I'll assume that
it's wise to leave it alone.  I can add a Bash alias to run mc the
second way although that isn't much help with other programs.  However,
from the terminal in Mythbuntu in XFCE it all works fine.  Maybe my Sid
box should be default UTF8.  I'm going to try that since the dialog
advises that it should be the default.

Thanks, Osamu.

- Nate >>