Re: to cluster or not? what's best solution for 2-node HA?

On Jul 26, 3:50 am, "James Youngman" <j...@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Bob <bobg.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >   however - you can run drbd in a primary/primary config - this
> > sounds like what I want. But it sounds like I need a clustering files
> > system to do this like GFS. After countless hours researching this,
> > I'm still not sure how to do it - do I need GFS? OCFS? NBD?
>
> There is a presenation on Ganeti that might help you figure this out.   Seehttp://ganeti.googlecode.com/files/Ganeti-FISL-2008.pdf
>
> I believe Ganeti is in the Debian repository.  It's my understanding
> though that Ganeti works best with three machines, because that way
> you still have dual-homed data even if one node already failed.
>
> James.

James -
TX so much for your reply. I had done some research into ganeti, but
hadn't see that presentation - I found it very helpful.

I have posted some questions to a ganeti group, because first &
foremost, I don't want to move my VM's out of vmware. So I would need
vmware to run on the 'ganeti system', and don't know if that can
happen, or if it makes sense to do it that way...

Also - as you've already indicated, ganeti seems to want a 3rd pc to
manage everything. In the future, this may start to make more sense,
but for now, I really want a 2-pc solution.

For me, it's not necessary to have a dual-homed system after 1
failure. It's simply enough to have 1 fully running system. I'd like
the VM's to continue without reboot if 1 fails, but if the 2nd system
should fail during the downtime of the 1st failed system, I can live
with that. (for now ;-)

Would you happen to be able to address any of those questions?
TIA - Bob