[OT] Setting up getmail to retrieve mails from gmail [Was: Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]]

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon,14.Jul.08, 20:44:32, Celejar wrote:
>
>> Note that Gmail can be used via POP or IMAP, without the web interface,
>
> I'm wondering, did any of you have problems lately with that? Quite
> often in the last weeks I get a mail from my getmail cronjob that my
> password was rejected.

I am trying to configure getmail to retrieve mails to my local machine
from my gmail account. I have enabled imap in gmail. Also i have been
using getmail to retrieve mail from my workplace account for a long
time, so i am sure getmail is working fine. Following is my
getmailrc-gmail

[retriever]
type = SimpleIMAPRetriever
server = imap.google.com
username = bahuroopi
password = mypassword

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail
arguments = ("-f", "%(sender)", "-m", "$HOME/.procmailrc")

However i get the following error:

arvind@laasya:~/.getmail$ getmail -n -r getmailrc-gmail
getmail version 4.7.8
Copyright (C) 1998-2007 Charles Cazabon.  Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimpleIMAPRetriever:bahuroopi@imap.google.com:143:
getmailrc-gmail: error resolving name ((-2, 'Name or service not known'))
  0 messages (0 bytes) retrieved, 0 skipped

If i change to SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever, i get the error:

SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever:bahuroopi@imap.google.com:993:
getmailrc-gmail: error resolving name ((-2, 'Name or service not known'))
  0 messages (0 bytes) retrieved, 0 skipped

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA.

Arvind