Re: to cluster or not? what's best solution for 2-node HA?

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 06:09:24PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/25/08 16:32, Bob wrote:
> > Here's what I want:
> > I have a vmware server running on etch, hosting 4 VM's.
> > I want these 4 VM's to be hosted in such a way, that should anything
> > fail on 1 VM host, there is another providing seamless service. I want
> > to do this with the 2 pc's I already have, each with 2 NIC's, and no
> > other hardware.
> >
> > My basic question - what's the best solution to accomplish this?
> >
> > Here's what I've looked at:
> > drbd/HA (heartbeat) - allows you to raid1 a disk partition between 2
> > pc's over ethernet
> >    issues: in the default primary/secondary failover config, if
> > primary fails, there is some period of time (even if only seconds),
> > required for the secondary to become primary - I can only assume this
> > would mean rebooting all the VM's.
> >    however - you can run drbd in a primary/primary config - this
> > sounds like what I want. But it sounds like I need a clustering files
> > system to do this like GFS. After countless hours researching this,
> > I'm still not sure how to do it - do I need GFS? OCFS? NBD?
> >
> > Now drbd isn't really a cluster, it's just raid1-ing 2 pc's - this
> > could be all I need.
> > But - would a REAL cluster be a better solution? I believe a cluster
> > could provide load balancing, or at least optimized use of all
> > available hard disk heads. Although, if drbd needs GFS, then in fact,
> > doesn't this become a real cluster?
> >
> > What would a clustering solution look like?
> > which is the best filesystem to use - GFS/OCFS ?
> > would drbd still be needed if GFS is used?
> >
> > Any ideas, experiences, help - greatly appreciated!
>
> A *real* cluster would entail running OpenVMS (since clustering is
> built deep into the OS) on either HP Integrity servers or used
> AlphaServers, and either buying little SAN boxes or using HBVS
> (Host-Based Volume Shadowing, which is similar to llvm, but has been
> in enterprise use for 25 years) on the disks.

:) Tree hugger :)

> With this, the OS will allow you to use both nodes concurrently on
> the same data files, and in case of a node crash, the other node
> will clean things up so that you don't have any corrupted data.
>
> Next best would be Tru64 (a.k.a. OSF/1) Unix on AlphaServers,
> because much of the clustering technology from VMS was ported to Tru64.

Best to get some sort of shared storage, like a disk shelf that allow
multiple connections - ie to server to connect at the same time (this
can be done with scsi but usually with FC ), I believe esx has its on
file system so just load it up, present the disk space to the 2 server
and your off.