Re: How to fix resolv.conf?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:18:41PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:35:59PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> >> browsing.  Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
> >> servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
> >> with values different from the ones I want.
> >>
> >> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> >> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> >> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
> >> be created every time.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?
>

> p_pavlos@freemail.gr (Pavlos Parissis) writes:
>
> > man resolvconf, should help you out
>

> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Install resolvconf
>

> Thanks.  I installed resolvconf and, as suggested at:
>
>  http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
>
> , I added the following line:
>
>  dns-nameservers 193.70.152.25 193.70.192.25

Hmmm... why did this.  Are these valid DNS for you?  This is fixed IP
configuration or with stupid DHCP missing support for DNS.

> to the file /etc/network/interfaces.  Now I can browse, but still the ppp
> connection log shows the following values:
>
>  primary   DNS address 10.11.12.13
>  secondary DNS address 10.11.12.14
>
> , that are not the ones I want.  It may be important because the connection is
> slower than it's supposed to be, and this may be related to the matter.

If DHCP provide such list of DNS, why not use it?  resolveconf should
have given these as DNS if you did not set dns-nameservers

> Thanks for further hints.
> Rodolfo

You may wish to read Debian Reference (debian-reference-en pacakage) or
see http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html.
    http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch06.en.html (network)

Osamu