Re: resurrecting dead mouse

Andrei Popescu on 23/07/08 11:17, wrote:
On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:32:25, Adam Hardy wrote:
Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead, pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.

Spent a while searching the debian-user archives, tabbing from link to link - fortunately some websites don't demand the mouse. Anyway, found no solution, so I rebooted. The mouse came back to life.

What can do at the command line to avoid the reboot when this happens?

I hadn't done anything to the system for the last 10 days or more, so there was no config changes or package installations. There were no relevant messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg. I just put it down to sunspots.

My config is:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"

Try using "/dev/input/mice" instead.

Would that be a preventative measure for the future?

Considering that this hasn't happened to me before, I'm hoping to work out why it did happen, rather than change to a different config which may have a new set of issues. Is there any advantage to using '/dev/input/mice'?