Re: Fast PDF File Viewing

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> I tried searching the mailing list archives as well as google for this
> but did not find any concrete answer.
>
> Here at work they have allowed me to use Linux ;) . Anyways,
> I am using debian exclusively and try to use Free Software applications
> wherever I can. Based on my research the fastest PDF viewer out there
> is xpdf. Right now it is performing fast, but when viewing large PDF
> files (generated from AUTOCAD drawings), panning/scrolling through the
> document takes a long time.

Sounds like a caching problem to me. Did you try kpdf? I think it caches
the "read-ahead" pages before you start reading them. So if you are
scrolling sequentially, it might help. If you are viewing pages in no
particular order, then I do not think it will help much.

I also do not know the performace difference between xpdf, kpdf. I have only
used kpdf and it always seemed fast even with large files. But most of the
files, I interacted with, are not graphics heavy as is the case for you.

> In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
> reader performs a lot faster.

I even found that acrobat reader on Linux (Debian etch) is slower than
acrobat reader on M$. YMMV.

> After doing some research, I decided to try to compile the latest the
> XPDF from source (3.02, the one I have is from etch repos @ ver 3.01).
> Based on the new features/bug fixed list, there are a lot of changes
> that help fix the performance issue described above. However, I can
> never get it compiled in etch, the freetype libraries can never be
> found.

Did you look in backports to see if there is a backport already available?

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi