Re: Switch-off problem

Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:46:16AM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel
> <jstumpel@planet.nl> was heard to say:

>> Now my theory is that the switch-off problem occurs after the
>>  following events:
>>
>> 1 - I mount the remote usb drive.
>> 2 - my wife switches off her computer.
>> 3 - I try to umount the remote usb drive -- this cannot be
>>     done.
>>
>> I suppose the shutdown program also tries to umount nfs
>> mounts, but fails, and then instead of skipping this step,
>> just hangs. Does this make sense? If so, is there a way to
>> solve this problem?

> You could try switching to a soft mount.  This can cause silent
> data loss when a server goes down, but I don't think that
> should be an issue if this is a read-only mount.  Just add
> "soft" to the mount options.  (I haven't tried soft-mounting
> for this particular case, so I don't know for sure that it will
> help)

Thanks much for pointing me to the "soft" option (which I did not
know about). Then by Googling I also found the "intr" option which
is said to be an alternative. But unfortunately neither option
cures the problem of shutdown hanging on the client when the nfs
server has gone off-line. Strange. This situation cannot be
uncommon in Linux home networking.

Regards, Jan