Re: Switch-off problem

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:46:16AM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> was heard to say:
> Recently my computer devolped a new problem: it sometimes does not
> switch itself off when I do shutdown -h now. It hangs somewhere
> during the shutdown procedure, and has to be switched off by means
> of the mains switch at the back. Fortunately the filesystem is
> ext3, so at the next boot it starts again without problems.
>
> I /think/ the problem may be related to nfs. I recently converted
> my wife's computer to Linux. A usb disk connected to my wife's
> computer contains media files which we both can use. This common
> usb disk used to be shared by means of samba/smbfs, but now it is
> exported by means of nfs.
>
> Now my theory is that the switch-off problem occurs after the
> following events:
>
> 1 - I mount the remote usb drive.
> 2 - my wife switches off her computer.
> 3 - I try to umount the remote usb drive -- this cannot be done.
>
> I suppose the shutdown program also tries to umount nfs mounts,
> but fails, and then instead of skipping this step, just hangs.
> Does this make sense? If so, is there a way to solve this problem?

  You could try switching to a soft mount.  This can cause silent data
loss when a server goes down, but I don't think that should be an issue
if this is a read-only mount.  Just add "soft" to the mount options.  (I
haven't tried soft-mounting for this particular case, so I don't know
for sure that it will help)

  Daniel