Re: Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:59:22 -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Jim McCloskey writes:
>
> > An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> > Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> > just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> > the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
> >
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
> >
> > is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> > screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> > window. It's really unusable.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Nope.
>
>     $ grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>     (II) LoadModule: "radeon"

[...]

>     (==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
>     (II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
>     (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
>
> It sounds like others are OK too. The good news is that once you get
> your X drivers straightened out, your entire UI experience will
> probably improve dramatically.

OK, our mini-survey so far:

nvidia driver using nvidia's RenderAccel: fine (Hugo, Ron)
radeon driver with XAA: fine (Bill)

My experience with Intel 82Q963/Q965 and the Xorg intel driver:

with EXA: not as bad as what Jim describes, but slow enough to seriously
          deteriorate the browsing experience

with XAA: generally quite fast, only web sites with excessive use of
	  background images slow it down noticeably, but not unbearably

Jim, if you have an intel card and use EXA (the default these days) then
a switch to XAA will improve your browsing experience significantly.

          Florian   |