Re: Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> writes:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

Nope.

    $ grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
    (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
            Module class: X.Org Video Driver
            ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
    $ grep 'Accel\|XAA\|EXA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
    (II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
    (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

It sounds like others are OK too. The good news is that once you get
your X drivers straightened out, your entire UI experience will
probably improve dramatically.

Florian, thanks for the grep examples. I didn't know about the -B and
-A flags, and they are bound to be handy!