Re: Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

I have not seen this.

> Epiphany behaves similarly, but Konqueror and Mozilla are wonderfully
> fast, suggesting that the problem (whatever it is) lies with Gecko.

If Mozilla is fast then the problem is in your FF installation, not in Gecko.

> This last suspicion was confirmed when I installed epiphany-webkit and
> called it explicitly. It was just as fast as Konqueror and Mozilla.
>
> Upgrading to 3.0.1 in unstable makes matters, if anything, worse.
>
> Downgrading to version 2.0 in stable restores normal speed and usability.
>
> The problem is the same in the binary version available directly from mozilla.org.

Have you tried cleaning your profile or tried a new profile? And as some others
said, restarting can sometimes fix issues with old libraries being
used, although
theoretically it shouldn't be needed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers