Re: virtual machine choices in Debian

--On torsdag, juli 17, 2008 16.08.49 -0500 Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
H.S. wrote:

> So, what free and preferably open source choices do we have for
> virtual machines in Debian? Pros and cons based on your
> experiences will be appreciated.

I was succesfully used kvm and qemu. There is also 'virtualbox-ose'
in Debian archive.

I'm rather content with virtualbox-ose, but you have to be careful to
run a kernel with all the pieces needed (linux-image +
virtualbox-ose-modules to match). I'm currently running a -486 kernel
instead of the -amd64 I would prefer to run because of this, but, meh.

I am currently running the "free as in beer"- version of openbox
flawlessly in etch/amd64.  There is even a .deb for it iirc.

Good luck!

// Emil