need help with chroot

The man page and a google search gave minimum info except for the link to www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tip.en.html. Following by rote the prompts in I think I succeeded in installing a minimal Etch installation though the prompt never changed to chroot # when I entered chroot /bkup/etch-root /bin/bash and a subsequent command apt-setup was unknown. (I started by making the directory /bkup/etch-root as I have lots of hard drive space in /bkup while 66% of / is used.)

Next I proceeded to again following the instructions by rote. Now Ctl-Alt F8 allows a login as root with no password to an empty directory.

Is there a good thorough exposition of the uses of chroot?