Re: [OT] How to Analyze/Study Source Code?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:45:54 +0100
"Sam Kuper" <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:

> 2008/7/16 Amit Uttamchandani <auttamchandani@canoga.com>:
>
> > Just wondering how you guys go about studying code?
> >

> My guess is: different people use different techniques, some more
> formal than others. I'm looking forward with interest to replies from
> more experienced coders, though.
>
> However, note that as this mailing list is for users rather than
> developers, it might not have been the most useful place to ask.
>
> Sam

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, I might forward this post to the developers mailing
list. I did a little bit of research and found the following:

 1. cbrowser - tk/tcl front end to cscope. Seems like it is
unmaintained. According to sourceforge last file upload was 07/03/2000.

 2. kscope - Qt front end to csope. Last update was in Jan 2008. Looks
very promising and powerful.

 3. csope - the mother. CLI interface. At version 15.6!! (Almost as old
as emacs ;) ). Last update was in 2006 but it looks like it is still
maintaned.

 4. doc++ - Documentation system that generates LaTeX/html. Latest
upload was on dec 2002.

 5. gonzui - code search engine. looks to be unmaintained but good
potential. Does online code search, not sure if it can do offline
search.

Most of the above are either for c/c++. I'm still trying to look for
something that covers other languages.

Amit