Installing nVidia drivers [WAS: Using apt to install only one package]

Stackpole, Chris wrote:
<snip>

Well I can't guarantee that it will all be smooth sailing when using Sid
packages. It should work, but obviously mileage varies. You do not want
to do an apt-get upgrade or anything like that but just a simple
'apt-get install package' may work for you. I do not foresee a reason
why you would need to change your kernel or to change anything but the
dependencies required by the package being upgraded by apt-get.

I wish you the best.

Have fun!
Chris Stackpole

Chris - no worries about a guarantee! I can fully appreciate that and have, over a number of years of using GNU/Linux now, come to expect that if something can go wrong, it probably will! The result inevitably has been that I get dragged kicking and screaming into Computer-World with all its arcane incantations and nuanced temperaments :-) until I can figure out a fix that works and stays working and almost certainly due to the help of many people along the way.

So, learning from past experiences, I now need to change my question from one about controlling apt-get to the methodology of installing a nVidia driver (and associated libraries, etc.) so that whenever the kernel headers are upgraded, it doesn't deep-six my xorg, which is what happened today!

Therefore ...

What is the "correct"/"best"/least error-prone method for installing an nVidia driver from the Debian repositories, on a Lenny machine, so that whenever the kernel headers are upgraded, the xorg continues to work?

I have done some searching on this, and to be honest some of the docs seem quite out of date, and some even contradict each other. But so far I have established that I do the following (I think!):

1. identify the kernel I am running (uname -r)
2. change my apt/sources.list to enable the latest drivers from Sid
3. download nVidia-driver and nVidia-glx and nVidia-settings (?) from the Sid repos
4. download module-assistant
5. run m-a prepare && m-a a-i nvidia
6. check it's okay: grep -q ^nvidia /etc/modules || echo nvidia >> /etc/modules
7. install the additionals: apt-get install nvidia-glx/Sid
8. restart the *DM /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Do I have this correct? If not, an informed steer would be welcomed. What are the gotchas and any tips for troubleshooting?

Thanks

Andy