Re: SCIM problem

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:59:14AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> I am currently running testing with few packages from unstable. After
> upgrading yesterday (or the day before), noticed that scim has stopped
> functioning. I do not get the scim window in the tray nor the keyboard
> selection window pops up. When I run scim -d, I get the following ouput
> :
>
>   $ scim -d
>   Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7
>
>   Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
>   Creating backend ...
>   Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context
>
>   Launching a SCIM process with x11...
>   Creating backend ...
>   Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context
>   Failed to launch SCIM.

I am part of SCIM maintainer and using SCIM from unstable for Japanese.

> I tried im-switch and chose the scim method for input. Then restarted X
> with the same result. But, after I rebooted the machine, most of the
> apps refuse to run : gnome-terminal, liferea, iceweasel, etc.
> Ran  im-switch and set the method to none. Now, at least, I can run
> programs. Bug reports for scim were not helpful :-(

I think you updated with unstable while they are going through halfway
in some gnome library transition.  (I am upgrading now .... let's see)

> Is anyone else facing similar problems? Any pointers or remedy for this
> would be greatly helpful.

Usually, my advice for such case are one of the following
 1. wait 1 or 2 days and upgrade again
 2. downgrade to testing as emmergency cure

Good luck.... Osamu