Re: Query about OCR package(s)

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:00:06PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> hello.
>
> Is an OCR package available for Debian 4.0, in .deb form, that can read
> from PDF files, to allow text to be extracted from PDF files?

Yes ...  From PDF? I do not know but implimenting it is simple with some
filtering.

Questio is more on quality or correctness of OCR result.  So far, I have
mixed result of very bad and fairly usable.  None was very good.

I think its database needs to be trained.

> In looking at what is available in Synaptic, I could not find such a
> package.

Use aptitude which has better searching capability.  Here is my search
result of graphic tools including OCR.

  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch12.en.html#listofgraphicdatatools

> Thank you in anticipation.

Osamu