Re: Sound Problems (Sound is Often Gone)

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Monday 14 July 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun,13.Jul.08, 18:29:25, Hal Vaughan wrote:
I'm using Kubuntu, but not the latest version, the one before it
(Gutsy, I think) and KDE 3.5.8 and have been using OSS.
Should we assume alsa doesn't work on your machine?

I may be behind the times, but I thought that OSS was superseding Alsa. Am I wrong? I've never really done anything with sound before and haven't really kept track of it. Would I be better off installing Alsa? I'm not wedded to using OSS and have no problem switching to something that would work better.

Hal

My understanding was:

Hardware <----> ALSA <--> OSS <--> Apps

Which was replaced on gnome with something like

Hardware <----> ALSA <--> ESD & Gstreamer <--> Apps

Which is now being replaced by

Hardware <----> ALSA <--> Pulse Audio <--> Gstreamer & Apps

I'm not sure how helpful and accurate that is. KDE, AFAIK, doesn't look anything like this after the ALSA part.

Did you walk through the Complete Sound Troubleshooting Guide on the UbuntuForums?

I know that under Hardy Heron they half-deployed pulse audio, the main pieces are there but apps to control the pulse sound server aren't installed by default (LTS = Long Troubles with Sound).

I've never used KDE, but a quick google search leads me to believe nothing of my experience with gnome, ubuntu or debian can be directly applied.