Re: i386 or amd64?

Skype works on 64bit. Download the static version (http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static), which has all library dependencies compiled in.

Sjoerd

Peet Grobler wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz 45W 65nm Dual-Core.

Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a current i386 system on it and then go on from there.

I'm not exactly sure why you'd want to run an i386 system on 64-bit architecture. 64-bit is so much faster. Why not make the most of the processor?

So I found this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/07/msg00311.html

which lists 6 options:

1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
2) Install amd64 version and use that.
3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit
(iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
programs and all 64bit.
5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.

I have a combination of 4 and 6. 4 works mostly, but some things (in my case skype) just won't work. So I had to resort to installing a chroot to run that. If you do that - use schroot! Using that I can just run /usr/bin/skype (script that executes schroot). Works like a charm.