i386 or amd64?
I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe,
albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz
45W 65nm Dual-Core.
Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a
current i386 system on it and then go on from there.
So I found this:
which lists 6 options:
1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
2) Install amd64 version and use that.
3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and
amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit
(iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
programs and all 64bit.
5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.
I would prefer 1) but how does one do that?