Re: i386 or amd64?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz 45W 65nm Dual-Core.

Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a current i386 system on it and then go on from there.

So I found this:

which lists 6 options:

1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
2) Install amd64 version and use that.
3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit
(iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
programs and all 64bit.
5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.

I would prefer 1) but how does one do that?

 Just go AMD64 and be done with it.  You get all the memory you can
 stand, and can still run nearly all 32-bit software with a little
 planning ahead.  I have no problems.  Use a chroot in those rare
 instances when you absolutely must run a 32 bit kernel.  Which will be
 very rare.

 Mark Allums