Re: Firefox not showing in Applications menus

On 07/12/2008 10:40 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

Firstly, I have (or, I understood that I have) both Firefox and Iceweasel installed. I wanted to try Firefox (separate to Iceape and Iceweasel), to find whether it had greater stability and security than Iceape and Iceweasel.
[...]

I recommend removing Iceweasel if possible.

You're no doubt confused that invoking 'firefox' brings up another 'iceweasel' window, but that is how Firefox normally works. If Firefox is already running, invoking 'firefox' again contacts the currently running instance and tells it to show another browser window. Since Iceweasel is Firefox, they use the same communication protocol and will communicate with each other readily--even if that's unintended by you. Remove Iceweasel.

You don't need to create a menu entry for firefox; instead you can create a shortcut. Both KDE and Gnome allow you to create shortcuts in folders of your choosing. In Gnome I have a ~/Desktop/Shortcuts folder that contains shortcuts to my favorite programs. The same folder works for KDE also.

If you wish to keep both Iceweasel and Firefox on your system, create a separate profile[0] for Firefox so that the two programs don't clobber/corrupt your profile data. Although the programs are essentially the same, slight differences in their bugs could lead to profile data loss. Anyway, the crashes and other problems you experienced earlier with Iceweasel may well have been due to a corrupted profile, so starting with a clean profile for Firefox is a good idea.

It's also a good idea to back up your profile folder[1] regularly. I use a 'crontab' script to backup mine. Good luck.

[0] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
[1] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder