Re: xorg reconfigure problem after upgrade slightly OT

On Thursday 10 July 2008 10:13:13 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> What do you mean by kernel modeline settings?
> >
> > Sorry, it's mode setting, not modeline setting.
> >
> > http://kerneltrap.org/node/8242
> > http://keithp.com/blogs/kernel-mode-drivers/
>
> They have to do something, VT management is a mess.
> To wit my problems with vga= in Debian's 2.6.25 kernel (*not* with
> kernel.org's 2.6.25.9!)
>
> Hugo

I also had issues with vga=X, but I just tried Sidux and they have a vt by
default that works.  They take the kernel.org kernel and apply patches as
opposed to the Debian kernel.  They also have a "split" sources.list, one for
Sidux, one for Sid.  Near as I can tell, they put packages on "hold" via
Sidux conf and when it becomes stable enough not to rip up the rest of the
install, they take it off of "hold" or they provide a Sidux version with
fixes that takes the place of the Debian pure Sid one.

Not so polished as say Libranet was, but might be an option for you.  100% Sid
compatable.  All files are in the right place.  So far, no ugly surprises:
Third day into it.  Install was a bit rough, no way to install mdadm raids.
On another box, /home as not mounted (seperate partition) and it took a
full / for me to notice that.

Ubuntu drives me nuts with changing file locations, like /etc/libnss-ldap.conf
is not in exsistance.  It took looking at bug reports to find it was removed.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com