Re: xorg reconfigure problem after upgrade

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/10/08 08:07, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/09/08 14:21, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/09/08 10:19, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
[snip]
Hmm -- that seems problematic.  Driver misconfigurations have left my
system in an unbootable state before; I'd hate to have to jump
through
hoops to downgrade to working drivers -- I'd think it should at
least ask
before auto-configuring everything.
This is why I refuse to enable fb, DRI & [xgk]dm.  The nvidia kernel
module isn't loaded until you run startx.

So, no matter how hosed X gets, the machine is functional and you
can log into the console, reading email with Mutt and surf the web
with links2.

This is why I am distressed about kernel modeline settings.

What?
Be a bit more specific.

What do you mean by kernel modeline settings?

Sorry, it's mode setting, not modeline setting.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8242
http://keithp.com/blogs/kernel-mode-drivers/

They have to do something, VT management is a mess.
To wit my problems with vga= in Debian's 2.6.25 kernel (*not* with kernel.org's 2.6.25.9!)

Hugo