Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 07 Jul 2008, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> I compiled by just "./configure", "make", without setting any
>> options. So by default gtk does not have a cups print
>> backend, only "lpr" and "file" (when compiled on a cups-less
>> system, I presume). The Debian version has "lpr" and "file",
>> as well as "cups" and something called "test". [..]

> It didn't work here. I did the same thing and the appropriate
> stuff in /usr/local but I still can't print. Did you do
> something to make FF see the gtk-2.10 stuff?

Probably. I messed around a bit with the settings in about:config.
Some settings I have now:

print.postscript.cups.enabled      false  [AFAIK not a default
                                   setting; you have to create it]
print.print_paper_size             1
print.printer_list                 lp
print.save_print_settings          true
print.show_print_progress          true

Most of these about:config settings related to printing do not
seem to do anything, though. What do you mean by "the appropriate
stuff in /usr/local"? "make install" as root takes care of that.
"make uninstall" undoes the changes, useful for testing.

Regards, Jan