Re: DigiVox A/D TV-Tuner issue

On Friday 04 July 2008 15:15, Anas Husseini wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> my user is already a member of the "video" group, and the /dev/video0
> permission is 666.
>
> Here are the ouputs of "lsusb" and "lsmod | grep video" respectively:
>
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID eb1a:e310 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
>
> videodev                    31936   2   tuner,em28xx
> v4l1_compat              12900   1   videodev
> videobuf_vmalloc        6820     1   em28xx
> videobuf_core             17124   2   em28xx,videobuf_vmalloc
>
> tvtime is still saying: No such device, cannot open capture device
> /dev/video0
>
> By the way, when I plug the tv-tuner, the device name "eb1a:e310" doesn't
> appear in dmesg output.
>
> Thank you for assistance.
>
> - Anas

Hi Anas. First I must say that I didn't realise it was a USB TV card, and I
don't have much experience of USB stuff (my tv card is an Hauppauge wintv
express PCI card).

Anyway, that said, I compared your lsmod with the deps listed for the em28xx
driver in modinfo, su to root and run modinfo em28xx, to see for yourself.
Deps below.
i2c-core,usbcore,videodev,tveeprom,ir-common,v4l2-common,v4l1-compat,compat_ioct132

Now I didn't expect to see some of these in your "lsmod | grep video, but
v4l2-common should be there. As I say I'm not familiar with USB TV cards, but
all these modules should be loaded automatically when you either boot with
the device plugged in, or when you plug it into a booted machine.

One module I did have to modprobe though, and that was for my USB midi
keyboard was the "uhci-hcd" host controller interface driver, and
subsequently added it to /etc/modules, so that it would be loaded
automatically. There are a couple of others as well "ehci-hcd, and ohci-hcd",
but only the uhci-hcd shows in my lsmod.

If you look at your lsmod, I'm sure at least one of these should be loaded for
USB devices to work.

I've never had any success with tvtime, and use xawtv. If you have that
installed, run as user, xawtv -hwscan, both with the tv card unplugged, and
plugged in. It doesn't give much info, but should show the video device that
your tv card is using, if all the necessary modules are loaded.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but gives you a bit to go on
with.

Nigel.