modprobe fatal messages at boot

Hi,

When I roll my own kernel these messages show up at boot:

modprobe: FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.25.9/modules.dep: no such file or directory

Yesterday I finally found a solution (but not *the* solution) to them in an ubuntu forum:

The solution given is to unpack the initrd.img and put modules.dep in it and repack it again, and behold, the messages go away.

The thread has complete steps for upacking and repacking an initrd.img

The reason it is no *the* solution is that the Debian kernel images do not have the messages and they do not have modules.dep in them either!

So it has something to do with the .config

BTW the reason for rolling my own 2.6.25 is that *it* does *not* have the unknown video mode problem, that Debian does.

Hugo