Re: Firefox 3?

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> Is there a version of Firefox 3--or, i guess, Iceweasel 3--in package form
> yet, or is it still in some kind of testing form where you have to compile
> it yourself?
>
> FF3 on my Windows machine is shockingly much faster, so id like to move
> over to it on my Lenny machine too, if its stable and ready. But its not
> showing up in my lists, unless im searching wrong.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen
Hi Jen,
You'll need to search under the "iceweasel" rather than firefox because of
trademark issues with Mozilla. There is a sid package that is version 3 of
Iceweasel but there is no lenny package for version 3. You can always get
the binaries (no need to compile) directly from the mozilla firefox site
here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Just untar the tar-bzip file and move it where you want. (/opt is the normal
place for it). No need to do any compiling. I've been using it since the
official release day and it's pretty stable. It is not totally happy with
flash stuff on some websites (the Guardian and Coccinella are two that
crash it) using both flashplayer 9 and 10. But most flash-using sites are
ok. Other than that I've had no problems with it so I can you can go ahead
and grab it.
Cheers,
Jonathan