Re: Recording TV with Debian

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:38 AM,  <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:48:10 +0200
> coolzone@it.dk wrote:
> What are you using to capture video?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Pinnacle video cards (I have an
Adaptec avc2010 pci card  which works perfectly under linux).

Surely if you want to capture the digital video stream produced by the
card, you just work out the name of the raw output device which the
card produces (/dev/avcap0 in my case, but it might be /dev/video or
something else for you) and then run:

cat /dev/yourDeviceHere > yourNewVideoFileHere

For me, the line I use to capture video (with my adaptec avc2010) is:

cat /dev/avcap0 > capture.mpg

(but that's because my card produces a compressed mpeg2 stream, so I
use the file extension .mpg). This way, I get _exactly_ what the card
is producing (I edit mpeg2 stream on linux using projectX, but that's
another story).

HTH, Jaime