Re: Open Source Video Codec and Container (alternative to Xvid)

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:15:15AM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

Quoting me, but with attribution removed.

> >> BTW, I convert FLV to AVI with this command line:
> >>
> >> 	ffmpeg -i filename.flv -sameq filename.avi
>
> This converts to MPEG4 (ffmpeg's default choice, at least on my system)
> in an AVI container which is a bad combination:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI#Continued_use

Aside from ideological purity, it makes little difference.  Using MP4 makes
the file something like 1% smaller, and with several players harder to seek
in.  I'm sure there's a way to tweak the MP4 to be more open to seeking, but
Good Enough is good enough for me.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!