Re: dvd and cd burning and ripping

Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

What tools should I use for the following:

I am sure there are multiple choices. But here goes a starting point:

- ripping a cd

grip

- burning a cd

k3b (does everything), or wodim for command line

- ripping a dvd

Never did this really, but try dvdbackup. Further, try:
$> apt-cache search rip dvd

- burning a dvd

k3b. Or growisofs from command line

I used "ripit" for ripping a cd, is this a good tool? It seemed to go
quite slow, but was ok. - Will wodim burn audio cds? Is this the best tool to use?

I ripped a dvd with 'dvdbackup' is this the correct way of ripping a dvd
movie?

hmm .. we are ripping movies, eh? Okay, at risk of getting flamed, unfortunately you probably will be better off doing this task on Windows. I hear that Alchohol (or something) is pretty nifty.

Or are there better tools. I ended up with a video_ts folder with lots
of files inside including vob files I could play with mplayer... So is
this how you rip a dvd? If so how can I then burn it to a blank dvd

A DVD usually has two folder in general, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Google for these if you want to know the details, but usually you may find only VIDEO_TS. Conversly, if you have your video data in ./VIDEO_TA, then ./ folder is all you need to burn to make a video DVD. But I haven't done this often, so please wait for some experts' answer to this.

disk? (So I can watch it on the dvd player on the tv?)
I am blind, so I can only use gtk applications, eg. gnome ones and of
course command line stuff.

Just curious, what about KDE applications?

Good luck,
->HS

Thanks for any help,