dvd and cd burning and ripping

Hi,

What tools should I use for the following:
- ripping a cd
- burning a cd
- ripping a dvd
- burning a dvd

I used "ripit" for ripping a cd, is this a good tool? It seemed to go
quite slow, but was ok.
- Will wodim burn audio cds? Is this the best tool to use?

I ripped a dvd with 'dvdbackup' is this the correct way of ripping a dvd
movie?
Or are there better tools. I ended up with a video_ts folder with lots
of files inside including vob files I could play with mplayer... So is
this how you rip a dvd? If so how can I then burn it to a blank dvd
disk? (So I can watch it on the dvd player on the tv?)

I am blind, so I can only use gtk applications, eg. gnome ones and of
course command line stuff.

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel Dalton