Re: Increase of un-usable PDF usage.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:43:07AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/27/08 10:12, Mike Mestnik wrote:

> >> You aren't giving us much to work with...
> >>
> > Thank you for replying.  Please CC me as I'm no-longer on the list.
> >
> > I'm CCing Ron as I don't expect my comment will be un-delayed
> > reaching the rest of the list.  Any advice for posting by non-list
> > members?
> >
> > I think the problem lies in education of the makers of PDFs.  I'd like
> > to just plain see them use another format, but if I can get them to
> > use software that's better supported then that would make every one
> > happier.
> >
> > I'm also not happy with the usage and support of ShockWaveFlash, but
> > the issue there is much more under control then this PDF problem.
> >
> >> (a) What DE & PDF reader are you using?
> >>
> > What could be better then any copy of GS made after 2000?
> >
> > GPL Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)
>
> That's kinda old.  Debian Sid uses v8.62 (2008-02-29).
>
> > I've attempted to recompile a newer copy, but the OS(SunOS 5.8) I'm on
> > won't support it.  "File / Save as -> Office 1997?"  I'm sure many of
> > the users will still remember as I do.
>
> Hmmm.  That's Not Debian, and a pretty ancient Not Debian...
>
> Are you sure that you're on the correct list, or am I misreading you?

This is just one example of what I'm talking about, there are more.

mmestnik@mephisto:~$ uname -a
Linux mephisto 2.6.18-4-ppc64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 30 13:01:29 UTC 2007
ppc64 GNU/Linux
mmestnik@mephisto:~$ gs -v
ESP Ghostscript 8.15.3 (2006-08-25)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
mmestnik@mephisto:~$ schroot uname -- -a
I: [ppc32 chroot] Running command: "uname -a"
Linux mephisto 2.6.18-4-ppc64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 30 13:01:29 UTC 2007 ppc
GNU/Linux
mmestnik@mephisto:~$ schroot gs -- -v
I: [ppc32 chroot] Running command: "gs -v"
ESP Ghostscript 8.15.3 (2006-08-25)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

The usage of PDFs is crippling my abbility to read things, I thought I
would find others here that felt the same.

It would be nice if I could upload PDFs to google, or something local,
so I could read them.

--
 *   Mike Mestnik: Junior Admin          612-395-8932           *