Re: cd burning not going well

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 04:17:51 +0100, j t (mark473@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Florian Kulzer
> <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> > md5sum -b /dev/scd0
> > The output should match the md5sum of the ISO image.
>
> Not _strictly_ true (due to blank/null padding which is sometimes
> added to the end of iso disk images, and issues with the infamous
> read-ahead bug in Linux).

Thank you for that.  I had been getting a little worried having tried
Florian's suggestion (above) with a couple of DVDs I had recently
burned using K3b from iso files and finding the MD5s did not match.
The DVDs appeared to be perfectly ok in all other respects.

Further investigation showed that extra bytes had been added (about
20kB) and in each case, the exact number of bytes was exactly divisible
by 2048, which fits in nicely with your explanation.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.