Re: cd burning not going well

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 15:35:00 -0300, tyler (tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca) wrote:

> I'm trying to burn a copy of Xubuntu as a rescue disk. My laptop
> (Thinkpad R60) is running Lenny, with KB3 installed. I also have access
> to a variety of machines running Windows. I have tried no less than a
> dozen times to burn this @#$% CD, and every time has failed. I have
> tried the following:
>
> Different downloaded image files (all pass md5sum checks)
> Different machines/cd burners/OS (windows/debian)
> Different CD media - HP, Sony, Memorex, no-name, mostly CD-R but a few
>           CD-RW
> Different burn speeds - usually the lowest possible for a given CD, but
>           also medium and top speed.
> Different burning programs (KB3, command line, various MSWindows apps)
>

> A typical result is burning the CD with KB3, which appears to work, but
> then complains that the disk image does not match the downloaded ISO
> when the verification check completes. If I try and boot these CDs, they
> get me as far as the Xubuntu opening screen, but when I use the built-in
> 'check CD integrity' it fails. Trying to boot anyways fails, it just
> hangs.
>
> As I've said, I've tried multiple computers, OS, media, burning
> programs, downloaded images (Ubuntu as well as Xubuntu). Does anyone
> have any other suggestions for burning a CD? This makes no sense to me.

Having never tried Xubuntu, I thought I would give it a go and see if I
could reproduce any of the above.  I guessed you were using a Canadian
mirror site so I tried downloading xubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso from
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/

Using K3b it burnt it ok, but failed verification just as you say.  On
the other hand, this is the first time I have ever ticked the
'verification' box so do not know if this is a frequent problem or a K3b
oddity.

However the resulting CD worked perfectly; the 'check CD integrity'
test, which you mentioned, passed ok and Xubuntu appears to be running
perfectly, so really none of this is of much use.  Sorry - and good
luck.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.