Re: Getting Xorg to use nvidia driver now that "devices" section gone in Sid

On 06/26/2008 10:26 PM, David Bruce wrote:
Hello,

I have installed both nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source(using
module-assistant for the latter to build and install the driver).  In
the past, at this point I would just use "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg" to select "nvidia" instead of "nv".  Now, it appears
that the driver is supposed to be autodetected.  There is no longer a
"devices" section in my Xorg.conf.
[...]

So put it there:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "nvidia"
EndSection

Save your old xorg.conf files. Although the developers of Xorg want xorg.conf to become superfluous, older, more detailed xorg.conf files often still work.

And the format of xorg.conf is rather complicated. Although it's documented in "man xorg.conf," building the file from scratch by reading the man-page isn't fun, so older xorg.conf files can be used as templates.