Re: no printer in latest iceweasel

On 24 Jun 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Correct, I have lpr.
>
> I have the impression that the support for piping the print job to lpr
> (or an equivalent command) has been removed or at least reduced
> significantly. I initially suspected this when I saw that iceweasel no
> longer opens the KDE print dialog. With previous versions it had been
> possible to set print.print_command to "kprinter", which behaves like
> lpr with a graphical printer selection dialog. Now I find that the
> print.print_command setting is ignored; it does not matter if I set it
> to "kprinter", the "lpr ..." default, or even "/bin/false" - I always
> get a printer selection dialog with all configured CUPS printers if
> cupsd is running and only the "print to file" option otherwise.
>
> I now ran strace on iceweasel and printed something. I saw that
> iceweasel uses GTK's libprintbackend-cups.so and it connects to
> /var/run/cups/cups.sock to discover and use the configured printers. The
> CUPS integration has obviously been improved (including the new dialog
> for selecting a printer and setting the print preferences), but it seems
> that this was been done at the expense of lpr.
>
> --

This is a retrograde development. A principal advantage of Linux has
always been that you had a wide choice, but this restricts choice. It
seems that I must either use CUPS, which I don't want to do, or print to
file and then print that.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)