Re: no printer in latest iceweasel

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 17:35:26 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > I have iceweasel 3.0~rc2-1 (sid) and I get my only printer listed.
> >
> > My guess is that you use CUPS and Anthony probably does not.
> >

> Correct, I have lpr.

I have the impression that the support for piping the print job to lpr
(or an equivalent command) has been removed or at least reduced
significantly. I initially suspected this when I saw that iceweasel no
longer opens the KDE print dialog. With previous versions it had been
possible to set print.print_command to "kprinter", which behaves like
lpr with a graphical printer selection dialog. Now I find that the
print.print_command setting is ignored; it does not matter if I set it
to "kprinter", the "lpr ..." default, or even "/bin/false" - I always
get a printer selection dialog with all configured CUPS printers if
cupsd is running and only the "print to file" option otherwise.

I now ran strace on iceweasel and printed something. I saw that
iceweasel uses GTK's libprintbackend-cups.so and it connects to
/var/run/cups/cups.sock to discover and use the configured printers. The
CUPS integration has obviously been improved (including the new dialog
for selecting a printer and setting the print preferences), but it seems
that this was been done at the expense of lpr.

          Florian   |