RE: slight OT, enterprise backup

[snip]
>What do the big boys use to backup systems (say ESX with win servers
>running DB's). I have never been tasked with finding an enterprise
>solution, but have heard of nothing but horror stories with some big
name
>products.
[snip]
>What do we have in the FOSS area for this?  I quick look at the docs
seems
>to say that mondo will not run on a windows only box (but will on ESX,
but
>I don't know if that means a Mondo server will not back it up or not)
and I
>don't know how it will handle systems that are running transactions
while
>the back up is running.
[snip]

I have never used Mondo so I can't comment on it.

I only manage about 30 servers, so I typically just use good ol' tar and
rsync with reporting into Zabbix for successful monitoring and alerting.
Typically the rsync stores itself on the SAN or the Disaster Recovery
RAID system. It works on both Linux and Windows.

On our VMWare ESX system, we just use the VMWare motion. We have a
cluster of servers that runs our VMWare. They are configured with enough
resources to spare so that we can lose a server without a huge hit on
the virtual systems. We are implementing the motion software to go out
to our DR site as well. Of course, this is a paid-for-software setup
from VMWare.

If you are wanting actual backup software in the FOSS world, take a look
at Bacula. It has been a couple of years, but when I was using it on a
large scale network with Linux and Windows it worked wonderfully well. I
can only hope that it has gotten better over the years.

There are a number of projects in the Debian repo's for doing backups.
Most work perfectly with Linux systems. However, I have found that most
of them work poorly or not at all with Windows. So do test them out
thoroughly.

Have fun!
~Stack~