slight OT, enterprise backup

Had a friend call me up and ask me about backup solutions (for a mostly win
server shop).  I suggested running a Linux server with Mondo (ESX is used
extensively as well).  This brings up a question in my mind:  What do the big
boys use to backup systems (say ESX with win servers running DB's).  I have
never been tasked with finding an enterprise solution, but have heard of
nothing but horror stories with some big name products.

What do we have in the FOSS area for this?  I quick look at the docs seems to
say that mondo will not run on a windows only box (but will on ESX, but I
don't know if that means a Mondo server will not back it up or not) and I
don't know how it will handle systems that are running transactions while the
back up is running.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com