network shares: nfs or samba?

Hi,

I'm having problems with nfs, so was just wondering:
1. Is samba better than nfs?
2. Does anyone know of a good samba howto?
3. Unfortunately people on my network still use windows, I dunno why,
but what settings should I have in place for it to work with win?

Or, should I use nfs? If so, it seems I must restart nfs-common and
nfs-kernel-server using init.d on every boot otherwise I get mount.nfs
access denied on server when trying to connect with the client...
Anyone know why this could be? I have iptables setup, but allowed all
ports the debian wiki howto on nfs and static ports said too...

Or is samba just easier? And how do I make samba use static ports if I
choose to use it?

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel Dalton